Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Recycling made easier

I'm moving soon, and since I attempt to live as a minimalist that means that I've been getting rid of things I don't use anymore. Here is a list of resources that I've found useful for recycling old stuff:

  1. Goodwill The status-quo for reuse and recycling. I probably drop stuff off here once every couple of months. Despite their reputation for reselling used clothing (which never fits me), they also accept and sell kitchenware, furniture, books, electronics and appliances, and shoes, among other things. Plus, you know that people will be able to directly use the items that you're donating. I worry though that these people simply trash such things once they're done with them.
  2. Dell Reconnect Dell has partnered with Goodwill to recycle computers and some other electronic equipment. All you have to do is drop your old computer off at a participating Goodwill (of which there are many near me). Dell will determine whether a used computer is good enough to resell at Goodwill or simply recycle it for raw materials.
  3. Best Buy Best Buy will recycle a whole slue of electronics and electronics accessories, including batteries, cell phones, computers, computer hardware, ink cartridges, speakers, and appliances. Just take the items to the service desk if there isn't already a bin for them near the front door.
  4. Home Depot Home Depot will recycle burnt-out compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFL's). I'm surprised that this campaign hasn't received more publicity since CFL's contain mercury.
  5. Target Target recycles plastic bags, cell phones, ink cartridges, and MP3 players. Look for the bins near the front of the store.
  6. Publix Florida's most popular grocery store. Most Publix have bins near the front door for recycling plastic bags and foam cartons. This makes me feel a bit better about Publix putting what seems like half of their entire produce stock on foam trays. Tsk, tsk, Publix, you are so wasteful...