Monday, October 15, 2012

Tommorow at Frontiers in Optics

Right now I'm in Rochester, New York for this year's Frontiers in Optics conference hosted by the OSA. So far I've attended the plenary talks, which dealt with quantum optics and thermodynamics, 2D IR spectroscopy, retinal imaging, and, of course, the Higgs boson. In addition, I visited the Omega laser facility, which was incredibly fascinating. If you're in the area and you have any interest in incredibly powerful lasers or inertial confinement nuclear fusion, then I recommend making a visit.

Tomorrow I plan to visit some talks and work at the CREOL exhibition booth from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM. Additionally, I'm giving a talk for a group mate who couldn't make it to the conference on Wednesday morning at 11:30 AM and my own talk on optically-controlled active media on Thursday at 3:00 PM. Briefly, the talk deals with solutions pumped by light to expand their free energy so that they may do carry out additional work. I hope the project will eventually be applied to controlling reaction kinetics in cells.

If  you're there, let me know and we can talk over coffee or a beer!